CREDITON Nil                     KINGSBRIDGE 20


KINGSBRIDGE travelled to Crediton on Wednesday evening for the final of this seasons Devon Intermediate Cup. This was Kingsbridge’s second successive visit to the final following their narrow loss to Teignmouth in the same competition last season and they were desperate not to finish as the nearly-boys again this season.

Strangely this was Kingsbridge’s first match in the competition after Plymstock Albion Oaks, Okehampton and Sidmouth all withdrew from previous rounds giving the Blue and Whites a clear run through to the final without having played a match – a sad sign of clubs commitment to this Devon Cup Competition which is now likely to be shelved by the County.

Having beaten Crediton twice in the league during the current season, Kingsbridge were seen as favourites to win the game but had come into the match on the back of a tough loss at Truro the previous Saturday. The Blue and Whites however managed to raise their spirits to return to High House with the trophy for the first time.

The High House team opened the scoring early with a well worked try on 6 minutes. A neat chip towards the Crediton 22 from fly half Ben Newman looked likely to roll into touch but instead bounced back up allowing Kingsbridge winger Matt Allen to use his height well to pluck the ball from above his opposing winger and race along the touchline, evading the final defender, to touch down and put the visitors 0-5 ahead.

The Blue and Whites then extended their lead on 26 minutes with their second try to move 0-10 ahead. A chip, over the home defence, into the Crediton 22, from scrum half Tristan Couch saw winger James Trout challenge his opposite number for the loose ball and despite not having height advantage on his side, Trout did superbly to win the ball and race in unchallenged to score wide out. The score remained 0-10 until half time.

In the second half Kingsbridge used the wind in their favour to pin the hosts back into their 22 where they threatened the line on several occasions but it was not until mid way through the half that they were able to turn that pressure into points. After being held up near the line, a scrum on the hosts five metre line saw the Kingsbridge pack take the ball against the head and push the home pack back over their own line where Kings number 8 Jack Cope touched down for the third try to increase their lead to 0-15.

With ten minutes of the match remaining a break from Kingsbridge Captain and centre Ben Glover into the Crediton 22 saw the ball held up over the try line but from the ensuing five mertre scrum, scrum half Couch switched the ball to the blind side to winger Matt Allen, who flew over the line, in the corner, for his second and Kingsbridge’s fourth try of the game to put the result firmly beyond doubt at 0-20.

This was an excellent result for Kingsbridge who gained just reward for all their hard work and strong performances this season to lift the trophy in front of their delighted fans. Kingsbridge RFC would like to thank all of the supporters who made the trip to support the team and extend thanks to Crediton RFC for their hospitality and efficiency in arranging the final at short notice.