KINGSBRIDGE 35 points               TRURO 23

KINGSBRIDGE welcomed Truro to High House on Saturday for round 12 of this seasons Western Counties (West) league programme and for their final home match before Christmas.

Games between these two sides have always been very evenly contested over the years and this encounter proved to be no different. After Kingsbridge had pulled out to a comfortable lead, early in the second half, the visitors fought back strongly later in the second half and looked most likely to go on and secure the win, only for a late surge from the home side that saw them pull clear again to secure the victory.

The hosts had taken the lead on 12 minutes through a penalty before Kingsbridge’s Thom Leman levelled matters at 3-3 after 14 minutes. The hosts then took the lead on 17 minutes as a penalty was put into the Truro 22 from where they took possession and drove the visitors back towards their own line. From 10 metres out Number 8 Freddie Buckle peeled off the maul and crossed over to take Kingsbridge into an 8-3 lead.

On 21 minutes the visitors were reduced to 14 men as one of their players was sent to the sin bin and from the resulting penalty scrum near the Truro line the ball was moved out to the backs for winger Alex Allen to cross over wide out on the overlap to make it 13-3. On 29 minutes Kingsbridge increased their lead as a failed Truro clearance was run back by the hosts to within five metres of the try line, before the ball was again moved out along the back line for Buckle to cross over for his second try to extend the lead to 18-3.

Truro crossed over for a converted try on the stroke of half time from a short range rolling maul which reduced the deficit to 18-10 at the interval.

Early in the second half Kingsbridge re-established their 15-point lead as pressure within the Truro 22 saw their defence tied in close to the posts, so when the ball was moved out wide, prop Stu Winzer was on hand to cross over in the corner for the fourth and bonus point try. The excellent touchline conversion from Leman took the score out to 25-10.

A period of indifference followed from the hosts along with a number of what can only be described as ”curious’ decisions from the man with the whistle. During this time Kingsbridge lost scrum half Jack Evans to a yellow card for entering at the side and prop Jake Vincent for obstruction. Truro duly reduced the deficit to 25-13 with a penalty and then to 25-23 with two tries to set up a grandstand finish.

Spurred on by the home crowd and their desire not to let the result slip from their grasp, Kingsbridge forced their way back down field and were rewarded with a penalty at the breakdown which Leman duly converted to take them further ahead at 28-23. With time all but up a neat chip along the touchline from winger Allen saw scrum half Evans win the race to the ball and he fed Leman on the inside to race in for the hosts fifth and final try. Leman converted his own try well to complete the scoring at 35-23.

This weekend sees the 1st XV travel to face St Austell in the league whilst the A XV will welcome Exmouth to High House in the Devon Merit Table. The Colts make the long trip to face Barnstaple in the Devon Colts Cup Merit Table.