St AUSTELL 24 points        KINGSBRIDGE 12

KINGSBRIDGE travelled to St Austell and came away counting costly errors that saw them push the promotion chasing home side all the way, but ended in 24-12 defeat. Kings allowed St Austell to take a 17-point lead into the second half before they put their first points on the board. Things could well have been different if they had taken the points on offer from eminently kickable penalties. However, on the positive side there was an outstanding performance from scrumhalf Jack Evans and a welcome return to form from George Banfield. The pack with the back row to the fore enjoyed some fine moments.

The first half saw St Austell the more clinical of the sides and although not dominant took their chances well and were on the scoresheet within the first five minutes, conversion missed. Kingsbridge had a chance to pull back 3 points but choose not to kick an easy penalty, they kicked to the corner but failed to cross the line from the following lineout. St Austell then came back, and from a series of penalties they took themselves to the King’s line, where one more maul saw them cross for their second try. Conversion successful. St Austell were lucky not to be down to 14 after Evans was taken out in the air. But the home side kept the pressure up and were rewarded with another try, taking them to a 17-point lead. Kings squandered yet another chance as a blindside break failed just before the half time whistle.

The second half saw the visitors start with more intent and pressurised St Austell into mistakes. Jon Merrin seizing a loose ball and scoring Kings first points. Leman converting. For long periods of the second half Kings played fine rugby with Evans orchestrating from scrum half. Banfield made a fine break and had the scrumhalf on hand to put the finishing touch to a fine try. Conversion missed but the game was now in the balance as Kings searched for the equaliser.

And it was against the run of play that saw St Austell strip the ball and break away allowing the home side the last word with a try that took them to 24-12, the final score.